So off went the case.
The only other thing I asked them to do was to cut the metal away from the intake and exhausts of the regular fan fixings to improve the airflow and also to paint the fascias of the drive covers/blanking plates to give a uniform look.
A DIY Molex socket for those who can't buy them locally.
However there is a large saving to be lila augen make up had by doing it yourself with some very impressive designs wat kun je maken van lege blikjes being achieve at minimal cost.
At the time I was living in University halls and so had very little space and no tools available, it was because of this that I chose to use the UKs only modding company Cool Case Mods for the hole cutting and the painting itself.Cutting off up to where the pin becomes round seems like the right length.For this I bought some 4pin molex splitters which I could hack.Of course for those of you in a more suitable environment could easily do this yourself if you're willing to put the time in, I wont try to cover the specifics here as there are numerous guides out there by people with more experience than.Again common sense and attention to detail makes this relatively easy.The final electronic part was the switches, to do this I cut the 12v (yellow) line of the splitter and soldered one end to one of the switch contacts and the other end to the other contact, its that easy!The cut is easiest to make just above where the connector becomes solid and then filing any excess off to get a flat near solid bottom.Well that's down to personal opinion really.This again is essential when doing it yourself in order to get things lined up correctly and also in the right place.I mean its not like every car manufacturer produces white cars is it?
To do this I used a ruler, a dark pencil and a fan grill to be able to mark both the main hole as well as the fixing points, I didn't just judge the position however, I measured the distances from the edge of whichever.
I also found a pair of really nice handles from West Hyde which I felt would look great so had that in mind for fixing at either end on the top.
The last major thing I decided on was the addition of some switches in order to control the fans and also some lighting which I planned to add later.Categories none, cAD Models how to make a good prezi presentation none, external Link none, oddly Molex power headers don't seem to be stocked by the main UK parts suppliers.The rest of the bits I bought from Maplins which included the snap in switches, blue leds (hi bright 3mm and 5mm some wire, heatshrink tubing to cover the joins and finally some zip-ties to tidy.The only other things I needed were a soldering iron, solder and some 470ohm resistors.Shortening the connector, before cutting the connector the pins need removing, I did this with a tool that came with some coloured connectors for case pimping.Another angle, the shortened socket mounted to the PCB.Some solder has wicked up into the wire making it rigid.This included using some rubber grommets to reduce the fan vibrations and theoretically the noise they make.The next step was the electronics, I started by replacing the standard case LEDs (the ones which plug into the motherboard) which is simply a matter of cutting the old ones off and soldering the new ones on as they often have much the same.Once you know what you want to do its time to start thinking about how you can achieve it, this very much depends on what it is you're doing and the tools you have.